Many household products contain hazardous chemicals. Paints, cleaners, used motor oil or any products that say “Danger,” “Poison,” “Warning,” or “Caution” on the label are harmful and must not be thrown in the trash, poured down the drain, or dumped into the gutter.
You can protect yourself and the environment by following these simple tips
- Choose products wisely. Look for safer, and less toxic alternatives.
- Buy only the amount of product you need to complete the job.
- Share leftover paint and other products with neighbors and friends.
- Recycle or dispose of any remaining household hazardous waste properly at a household hazardous waste collection facility.
Butte Regional Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility
Due to a cooperative agreement between the City of Chico and the County of Butte, all Butte County residents can now recycle or properly dispose of their household hazardous waste at the Butte Regional Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility.
The household hazardous waste facility is located at the Chico Airport Industrial Park at 1101 Marauder Street, behind A/C Industrial Services offices, and is open Fridays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., with no appointment required.
Hazardous waste from small businesses who qualify as Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generators (CESQG) will be accepted by appointment only. Please call 343-5488 to make an appointment.
The facility is FREE to all households in Butte County. Residents must show proof of residency by presenting a garbage or utility bill (water, phone, cable or electricity). A fee will be charged for small businesses (CESQGs).
Types of household hazardous waste accepted at the facility
Pharmaceuticals and Medical Sharps…
It is now illegal to throw used medical needles or “sharps” into the trash. Click here for more information on where to properly dispose of medical sharps.
Pharmaceuticals and other legal prescriptions can also be taken to the Household Hazardus Waste Facility. More Information…
Bleach and liquid cleaners; Upholstery & rug cleaners; Oven Cleaner, Furniture polish; Tub and tile cleaners; Drain Cleaners
Automotive care products…
Used motor oil & filters; Used car batteries; Brake and transmission fluids; antifreeze; Gasoline.
Garden care and pest control products…
Pesticides; Herbicides; Rodent bait; Ant & Roach spray; Pool chemicals; Small propane gas cylinders.
Paint and paint related products…
Oil-based paint; Latex paint; Wood stain; Paint & varnish mover; Paint thinner.
Electronic Waste (“E-Waste”)…
Computer monitors, televisions and other electronic waste containing Cathode Ray Tubes (CRTs). Click here for other locations where you can recycle your e-waste.
Household batteries; Fluorescent lights; Epoxies & adhesives; Aerosol cans; Lighter fluid; Hobby supplies.
The following wastes will NOT be accepted…
- Wastes contaminated with PCB’s
- Radioactive wastes
- Infectious medical wastes
- Smoke Detectors
- Household trash
Most of the hazardous waste collected, such as latex paint, antifreeze and used motor oil, is recycled or reused. Disposal of the materials is kept to a minimum.
Hazardous Waste Transportation Tips
When taking your hazardous waste to the facility, please follow these safety tips
- Do not transport more than 5 gallons or 50 lbs of material at any one time. State law prohibits the transportation of larger amounts without a special license.
- Please remain in your vehicle and obey all safety precautions while dropping off your household hazardous waste at the facility.
- Keep products in their original container. If the original container is not available, make sure to label the container with its contents.
- Do not mix products.
- Make sure lids are tightly sealed.
- If a container is leaking or is dirty, wrap it in plastic or place it in into a larger container with absorbent material, such as newspapers or “kitty litter.”
- Transport your material in the trunk or rear of your vehicle.
- Do not leave hazardous materials sitting in the sun or stored overnight inside your car.
Butte Regional Household Hazardous Waste Facility Hours and Location
Fridays: 9:00 a.m to 1:00 p.m.
Saturdays: 9:00 a.m to 4:00 p.m.
(no appointment necessary for Butte county residents)
1101 Marauder Street, Chico
For more information call:
1-866-429-2288 (24-hour Information)